Bernardo West Chiropractic
Rancho Bernardo, California
Own a lucrative chiropractic, acupuncture & massage family practice in San Diego
Learn more about this extraordinary opportunity to step into a profitable practice in a gorgeous area, currently offered at an amazing price!
Unique opportunity to own a well-known, high-net practice in the San Diego inland community of Rancho Bernardo (20 minutes from the beach, 20 minutes from downtown). Bernardo West Chiropractic, currently the chiropractic, acupuncture, and massage practice of Angela Hee, DC, and Jeff Oslance, DC, is located in one of the most affluent communities of San Diego County. With a health-conscious population and consistent return business, the opportunity to have an abundant practice drawing from a major metropolitan area is available from the moment you step in.
Imagine making over $400,000 per year working four days a week with three-day weekends and plenty of time off for vacation. No marketing necessary—the 30-year reputation of this practice keeps a steady flow of new patients streaming in.
Electronic efficiencies, years of records with thousands of patients, and consistent patient flow based on this practice’s exceptional reputation mean you’ll continue to have a bustling practice. Add more hours, bring on another practitioner, and/or add modalities, and you have the chance to add even more success to an already prosperous business.
Whether you are a practitioner who is just starting out or an established clinician with some years under your belt, Bernardo West Chiropractic offers you the chance to hit the ground running. Step into this rare, once-in-a-lifetime, turn-key opportunity to run the practice of your dreams in one of the most gorgeous and sought-after areas in the country. Call or email us today, come by and spend some time with us, and be thriving in just a few short months.
Learn much more below.
Income & Expenses
Opportunities for Growth
Video & Photos
- The community of Rancho Bernardo is officially part of San Diego city and county.
- Rancho Bernardo and the surrounding community has a population of just over 130,000, with easy access to over 3 million more who live in greater San Diego Metropolitan area.
- About 50,000 people come to Rancho Bernardo each day to work in one of the many corporate headquarters located here, including Sony Electronics, as well as Amazon, Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard and more.
- Rancho Bernardo is also a well-known destination for its exceptional wineries and breweries, golf courses, and leisure activities.
- Kids love the nearby Legoland theme park, SeaWorld San Diego aquarium, and San Diego Zoo and Safari Park. Adults will find all they need, from restaurants to museums to world-class entertainment.
- The clinic is located in an established medical building just off the Interstate in the middle of a busy retail area less than a mile from the regional hospital and Kaiser medical center.
- The space consists of 3 treatment rooms, an open therapy area, a spacious waiting/reception area, a doctor’s office, and an ADA-accessible bathroom. Parking is easy, ample, and free.
- Bernardo West is a non-specialty practice, seeing everything from subclinical and acute orthopedic conditions to chronic issues that have not responded to other medical interventions.
- The patient population has spanned from infants to great grandparents and everyone in between. That said, the majority of the current patient load consists of men and women between the ages of 25 and 60.
- There are currently thousands of patient files, with hundreds active at any one time.
- The clinic averages over 600 patient visits per month.
- About 50% of patients have insurance; 20% are worker’s compensation and personal injury claims; 15% have Medicare; and the remaining 15% pay in full at the time of service.
- Most patients in the area are older and financially well-off.
- The majority of patients are from communities within 25 miles of the office.
- Given the owners’ history of almost 30 years in the area, almost all patients are referred by word-of-mouth, while many come through the practice’s exceptional online presence.
- The current owners are happy to provide years of past calendars to prove consistent patient volume.
- While trained in standard chiropractic techniques, the current owners variously employ diversified chiropractic, activator, flexion- distraction, therapeutic exercise, trigger point therapy, and soft tissue work.
- The treatment of pregnant women is common, with Webster’s Technique used for breeches.
- Patients are offered a basic selection of multi-vitamins, joint support products, natural muscle relaxants, CBD lotions and supplements (approximately 20% of patients utilize), as well as lumbar supports, cervical pillows, and braces for extremities.
- Massage therapy and acupuncture are utilized by many patients and provide strong supportive care to their chiropractic treatments.
The following income and expense summaries are derived from an average of income and adjusted expenses from 2017-2021. Note that Covid impacted 2021 numbers, but 2022 is more than making up for it. The two current owners have office hours a total of four full days per week between them.
Average gross yearly revenue (5 years): $401,356 ($33,446/month)
Average adjusted expenses: $185,144 yearly ($15,429/month)
Average $216,212 per year ($18,018/month)
*Adjusted expenses are the net expenses that a new owner would have to take on to run the business at the same level of revenue as the current owner. Thus, elective variable expenses such as continuing education, transportation, etc. are removed from gross expenses to calculate adjusted expenses. Salary for the owner is included in adjusted expenses at the same level the current owner is paid.
- The price is based on a conservative professional valuation of $338,000, with an average yearly gross of just over $400,000 for the past several years.
- The owners’ motivation to sell in a timely fashion has allowed them to generously factor in a discount off the valued price for potential attrition and start-up costs on change of ownership. They expect the right person will retain their patients and transition smoothly, making this a great opportunity for the buyer.
- The purchase will be structured as an asset purchase agreement and may be drawn up between buyer and seller (preferred) or by attorneys, at the discretion and by agreement of both parties.
- Approval of the buyer is subject to a credit check, and loans from medical practice brokers, banks, or the Small Business Administration (SBA) may be available to finance the transaction depending on the buyer’s creditworthiness.
- The sellers may also be willing to hold a loan given a significant down payment from the buyer and good credit.
- Upon purchase, the new owner will receive all patient records and equipment in addition to product and supplement inventory.
- The current owner will also transfer to the new owner all clinic-related intellectual property, including the clinic phone number, website, claimed Yelp page, Facebook page, Twitter account, YouTube channel, Lytec EHR and billing system, and clinic-related financials.
- The clinic currently employs an office manager who has worked in the clinic for more than 8 years, and two part-time receptionists as W-2 employees. A massage therapist and an acupuncturist have each been with the practice as independent contractors for about 6 years and generate about 10% of the gross revenue of the practice. All may be willing to stay on at the prerogative of the new owner.
- The landlord is willing to transfer the lease or start a new one, and the current owners will facilitate interaction with the landlord in order to secure favorable lease terms.
- The current owners’ goal is to surrender the practice in 2022. They would be willing to stay on for a limited time to train a new owner in their techniques and to assist in the transition, if so desired by the new owner, at no additional cost.
While the current practice nets a healthy return, a motivated buyer could significantly increase their income upon acquisition through a number of simple changes.
- Work more hours – Given that the current owners work three full days and two half days per week between them, there is plenty of room to work more hours in the clinic, which would obviously increase revenue.
- Add additional practitioners – In addition to or in lieu of working more hours, the practice could easily support at least one more provider during times when the office is unoccupied.
- Add more lessors – In addition to or in lieu of adding additional practitioners as employees, the clinic has space available to sublease to other practitioners.
- Do some marketing - The practice does very little marketing outside of its web presence. There is a database full of patient information that could be used for marketing directly to current and former patients, but the clinic has been busy enough that these resources have rarely been leveraged. Doing any kind of additional marketing would create more opportunities for an increase in new patients and a return of pre-existing patients.
- Improve online presence - The current owners have been successful without putting too much effort into creating an ongoing online presence. Blogging, improving the website, paid online marketing, and doing some email marketing all hold great potential to improve awareness of the clinic to generate more revenue.
- Sell more products and supplements - Only a small percentage of patients currently take a limited number of supplements. Giving a greater percentage of patients the option of CBD products, pillows, braces, supports, an expanded range of supplements, and other ancillary sales offer further opportunity for increased revenue.
About San Diego
Photos of the Clinic (click to enlarge)
Take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to step into an established, turn-key practice in a gorgeous location! Call (858) 705-5810 or click here to email us today.
Copyright 2022 - Bernardo West Chiropractic, LLP.