Marin Integrative Acupuncture
San Rafael, California
Own a renowned all-cash medical acupuncture practice in Marin
Learn more about this extraordinary opportunity to step into a profitable practice in a gorgeous area, currently offered at a great price!
Unique opportunity to own an always-full, all-cash acupuncture and herbal medicine practice in the heart of exclusive Marin County. Marin Integrative Acupuncture, currently the practice of Teresa Black, MD, has been thriving for more than 20 years. With an affluent and health-conscious population and consistent return business, the opportunity to create an even more abundant practice is available to you from the moment you step in.
Imagine making well over $300,000 per year working only 3 days per week without ever billing insurance or doing any marketing. The reputation of this practice keeps a steady flow of patients streaming in. Low overhead, years of records and consistent patient flow mean you’ll continue to keep your costs predictably low.
Add more hours, hire an associate, and/or sublease some of your space, and you have the chance to add even more success to an already prosperous practice.
Whether you are a practitioner who is just starting out, or an established clinician with some years under your belt, Marin Integrative Acupuncture offers you the chance to hit the ground running. Step into this rare, once-in-a-lifetime, turn-key opportunity to learn from a well-established practitioner and run the practice of your dreams in one of the most beautiful, sought-after areas in the country. Call or email us today, come by and spend some time with us, and be thriving within a couple of short months.
Learn much more below.
Income & Expenses
Opportunities for Growth
Videos & Photos
- San Rafael is located in Marin County, one of the most picturesque and well-to-do areas in the country.
- The city of 60,000 is the oldest and largest in the county, a place where culture, business, and just plain fun happily coexist. And thanks to its central setting, natural beauty is never far away.
- San Rafael is just a few miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge, and the clinic has access to much of the larger San Francisco Metropolitan Area—millions of people within reach of the office.
- San Rafael has been ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by countless publications and news organizations owing to its safe streets, top-ranked public schools, and exceptional quality of life.
- Many people come to San Rafael for its rich variety of cultural events, to dine at the fine restaurants, to shop, and to enjoy recreational activities on nearby Mt. Tam.
- Its proximity to San Francisco has also made it a popular place to live for many high-income commuters.
- The clinic is located just off Marin’s main freeway and is easily accessible from either direction.
- It consists of a large and well-lit waiting and reception area, with space for up to three people at the front desk; 4 treatment rooms; two bathrooms; a storage area; and an herbal pharmacy and kitchenette. The office is modern and tastefully decorated and has abundant free parking.
- Marin Integrative Acupuncture is a non-specialty practice, seeing everything from subclinical and acute orthopedic conditions to chronic issues that have not responded to other medical interventions.
- The patient population has spanned all ages, but most are women between the ages of 35 and 80 years old.
- The current owner has had a full practice for many years and hasn’t even accepted new patients for about six years.
- All current patients are long-standing, many of whom have come in consistently for 10-20 years. No marketing has been done for decades.
- All patients pay in full at the time of service. The clinic does no insurance billing but does keep track of patient invoices and provides superbills through ClientTracker billing software.
- The current owner is happy to provide years of past calendars to prove consistent patient volume.
- As a medical doctor, the current owner was trained in and practices Joe Helms’s Energetic Medical Acupuncture.
- She has studied 5-element techniques but rarely employs them.
- Many patients are also treated with moxibustion, electrical stimulation and cupping.
- Though trained in modern medicine, the current owner treats all patients with acupuncture.
- Some receive treatment from a BEMER device, and others get Vitamin B-12 shots.
- Herbal medicine and supplements are prescribed to about 60% of patients—primarily patent formulas from Health Concerns, though several others as well.
The following income and expense summaries are derived from an average of income and adjusted* expenses from 2017-2020. Note that the current owner works three days per week and takes up to 8 weeks of vacation per year.
Average gross yearly revenue: $315,863 ($26,322/month)
Average adjusted expenses: $158,160 yearly ($13,180/month)
*Adjusted expenses are the net expenses that a new owner would have to take on in order to run the business at the same level of revenue as the current owner.
Average $157,703/year ($13,142/month)
- The asking price is based on a professional valuation of over $240,000 with an average yearly gross over $315,000 for the past several years (even during COVID).
- The owner’s motivation to sell in a timely fashion has allowed her to generously factor in a discount off of the valued price for potential attrition and start-up costs on change of ownership. She expects the right person will retain her patients and transition smoothly, making this a great opportunity for the buyer.
- The purchase will be structured as an asset purchase agreement and may be drawn up between buyer and seller (preferred) or by attorneys, at the discretion and by agreement of both parties.
- Approval of the buyer is subject to a credit check, and loans from medical practice brokers, banks, or the Small Business Administration (SBA) may be available to finance the transaction depending on the buyer’s creditworthiness.
- Upon purchase, the new owner will receive all patient records and equipment, in addition to any supplement inventory.
- The current owner will also transfer to the new owner all clinic-related intellectual property, including the clinic phone number; website; logos and identifying information; ClientTracker billing system and clinic-related financials.
- In addition to the physician owner, the practice also employs three W-2 employees: An office manager who has been with the practice for over 20 years; a part-time administrative assistant and receptionist who has worked in the clinic for about four years; and a woman who comes in just a few hours a week. All may be interested in assisting with the transition and/or staying on with the practice if so desired by the new owner.
- The landlord is willing to transfer the lease and the current owner will facilitate interaction with the landlord in order to secure favorable lease terms.
- The current owner’s goal is to surrender the practice by the beginning of summer in 2021. She would be willing to stay on for a limited time to assist in the transition if so desired by the new owner at no additional cost.
While the current practice nets a healthy return, a motivated buyer could significantly increase their income upon acquisition through a number of simple changes.
- Add additional hours – The current owner has office hours on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. There is plenty of room and plenty of demand to work more hours in the clinic, which would obviously increase revenue.
- Add additional practitioners – In addition to or in lieu of working more hours, the practice could easily support at least one more provider during the times when the office is unoccupied.
- Add additional sublessees – Subleasing to other practitioners is another option on the days the clinic is not in use.
- Accept insurance – The clinic is proud to be a low-maintenance, all-cash practice. An enterprising new owner could certainly attract more business by accepting and billing insurance.
- Do some marketing - The practice does absolutely no marketing. There is a database and two file cabinets full of patient information that could be used for marketing directly to current and former patients, but the clinic has been busy enough that these resources have not been leveraged. Doing any kind of additional marketing would create more opportunities for an increase in new patients and a return of pre-existing patients.
- Improve online presence - The current owner has been successful without putting much effort into creating an online presence. Blogging, developing the website, paid online marketing, and doing some email marketing all hold great potential to improve awareness of the clinic in order to generate more revenue.
- Add additional services - With a physician owner, expanding services well beyond Chinese medicine, such as functional medicine and/or creating more of a general family practice, offer unlimited opportunities for increased revenue.
- Sell more supplements - While about 60% of patients are given herbal medicines and supplements, offering a greater percentage the option of a wider variety of supplements brings another opportunity for increased revenue.
Explore The Uniqueness of Marin
A video walkthrough of the office
Photos of the clinic
Take advantage of this rare opportunity to step into a well-known, all-cash practice in one of the most affluent areas in the country! Call (415) 519-4026, or click here to email us today.
Copyright 2021 - Marin Integrative Acupuncture